Battle Day One
ATTACK #2 - DAY ONE: OLIVE OIL TREATMENT.
Truth be known, some bugs WILL survive the first attack by the pediculicide or lice shampoo. There are head lice that are immune to the effects of the pediculicide. They are known as "Super Lice." Super lice are lice that have genetically become immune to the effects of the over-the-counter lice shampoos and creams. There is a whole story behind this...we'll save that for another day. But, for now, we need to kill these resistant lice that may have been left behind after using the pediculicide. Olive oil is the answer.
Here’s how to do an olive oil treatment:
- Perform this step in the bathtub or on a vinyl floor.
- Cover the shoulders with a Chux Pad or a garbage bag (one on each shoulder or cut a hole out of the middle (do not put the bag over the child’s head, mouth or nose). This will protect the clothing and other surfaces.
- If you are using garbage bags, cover the bags with a couple of old towels to “catch” the dripping oil.
- Part the hair down the middle.
- Using the applicator full of olive oil, apply the olive oil directly to the scalp and massage the oil into the hair.
- Using a shower cap and secure the shower cap to the head with a towel or the bandanna. I would advise extra caution in doing this during the night for children; the plastic shower cap may become displaced and cover the child’s airway. Children get home from school around 3pm. The oil needs to remain in contact with the hair for 6-8 hours. Yes, that makes for a late night, but that’s okay; you’re only going to do this 5 or 6 times.
Note: If it’s too late when the shower cap is to come off, just leave the oil on the child’s head and keep a towel over the pillow. Will oil get all over the pillow? Yes. Save the pillow for the next few days.
RID VS NIX
RID contains pyrethrum and NIX contains permethrin. But what does that mean? Is one better than the other at killing lice and what about all those eggs?
THE BATTLE PLAN
You’ve found lice on a head in your home. WHAT THE HECK!? Okay, don’t sweat. You’ve got this. Read this LICE BATTLE PLAN and get them bugs gone!!
ALL ABOUT LICE
Learn more about lice. You have an 2-3% chance of lice coming into your home this year. The more you know about these pests the better prepared you’ll be.